The best makeup application is the one that you barely even notice. The idea behind putting on makeup is to enhance one’s features, hide any flaws or blemishes, and make a person look younger, fresh and alert. Doing so doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to cake on the makeup to achieve this desired look. Here are some makeup mistakes that you absolutely want to avoid:
1. Dark lip liner against light lipstick. This classic 80′s look is one that really should have stayed in that era, yet you’ll still see some women walking around with gawdy dark lip liner surrounding much lighter lipstick. This is not a flattering look at all, and instead makes a woman look somewhat comic.
When choosing a lip liner, look for one that in a shade close to your natural lip color. Instead of just lining the outer part of your lips, color in your whole lip area, then apply a sheer gloss on top. For darker shades, make sure you fill in your lip area completely before applying a sheer gloss.
2. Artificially drawn-in eyebrows. For women who have once over plucked their eyebrows, or suffer from small bald patches throughout their brow line, the temptation to color them in is present. Adjusting these patches can be done properly, but there is also a wrong way to do it. Some women color their eyebrows in with such a dark, harsh color that their eyebrows stand out awkwardly. In addition, they draw their eyebrows with a very harsh line that is not properly blended in.
For more natural looking brows, dip an angled makeup brush into a brow powder of the appropriate color, and move the brush along the natural brow line, and extend it all the way to the edge of your eye. If your brows are really sparse, then make short, light strokes with a sharp brow pencil, then finish them off with the brow powder.
3. Clumpy mascara. Long, full, luscious lashes are one of the most coveted features for women. As such, many women try to achieve these beautiful lashes by applying way too much mascara. After the third or fourth coat, you risk going from gorgeous, long lashes to clumpy, messy looking eyes. This is not the look you want to achieve! To avoid this, follow these tips to perfect mascara application:
– Wipe the mascara wand against the edge of the tube before applying in order to remove any excess mascara that will inevitably clump on your lashes,
– Comb your lashes with an eyelash comb just before it dries to keep the lashes separate,
– Apply a second coat, then comb again.
4. Lining your eyelids only half-way. Although lining your entire lid from one end to the other in a strong, hard and defined line can make your eyes appear closer together, lining them only halfway can look a little ridiculous. Instead, line your eyes in a soft line, from the inner edge to the outer corner. In order to soften this line, smudge it lightly toward the inner edge with a sponge or q-tip for a more natural look.